Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: 2 questions

2 questions

I would like to pose to questions:
    1- my mouse makes sudden and random jumps from time to time.
    2- do you know how to type on the keyboard the character "tilde"
    (actually this how we call this character in italian); they said me that
    it is possible to use Alt+ 126 but it does not work in the Visual C++ environment.
    Thanks . LB.
    LB

Tilde in English too ˜

You must use a leading zero before the number. On my character map it's ALT+0152 for ˜ Check your own Character Map under Accessories>>SystemTools. The Tilde can be a nasty one and can need a different keystroke under DOS in English, although its character code should be constant I think.

Jumping mice! Is the CPU over-busy when this happens and have you taken out the ball and cleaned out the fluff and gunge?
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

This probably is not the problem but I had yhe same trouble when I had my mouse set on 3-d setting.Also do you have 'Snap To' checked in your mouse settings? This will automatically move to the default button on any page.
    The American flag may not fly over my house but it flys in my heart!

To learn about accepting Christ as your personal Savior click the link below.

The Plan Of Salvation

Three common causes of "jumping" mice...

1. Dirty
    2. One of the indiviual wires in the cable is broken/bad solder joint (or in the case of cordless mice...batteries)
    3. Corrupted drivers or resource conflict...(depending on the mouse p/s2 or serial or USB it doesn't necessarily have to be a mouse driver problem)
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Character tilde.

Thanks for the replies. The problem is that no combination Alt + 0124
    would work. Also, I cannot find the Character map on my computer; I have tried a search in the Microsoft site, but I could not download it.
    Another question: is there a difference among how you type the character tilde in various environments, say MS Word, Visual C++, or in the edit box in Internet Explorer where you type Internet adresses like www.mysite.com (these adresses often require the character tilde).
    Thanks. LB.
    LB

I cannot find the Character map on my computer
    silly question did you try typing "charmap" in the run box??
    Want my weapons molon labe

The Charater map is an optional component.....you can add it if it is not present by going to add/remove proggrams selecting Windows setupand then under System Tools (may be in a different category in different versions of Windows) adding it in...
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

~ ~

British Keyboard as follows

Tilde is set above the hash (on the same key) & below the brackets key.
    Ernie

The difference between perseverance and obstinancy is that one is made from strong will, and the other from strong won't
    Henry Ward Beecher
    Do you have reading problems? Don't let it deter you. This is what YOU can do if you try http://www.erniek.eclipse.co.uk

Referenced from the MSDN Library on CD
    In ANSI, ASCII, ASCII multilingual, C/C++ Libraries and C/C++ Languages the Decimal Code for:-
    ~ (Tilde) is 126
    ¦ (Broken Vertical Line) is 124

If you are using these codes programatically these are the correct codes to use for Tilde and the Broken Vertical Line.

Windows doesn't always follow these conventions and is further complicated by different character maps for different fonts and different keyboard layouts, different languages etc.

I know from experience that if I type the keyboard key with the tilde on it in Windows it comes out correctly but at a DOS prompt it comes out as a vertical line. Typing ALT+0126 in either apps produces a Tilde. To get it to print a Tilde at a DOS prompt I can use the Keyboard Key with a ¬ on it; go figure; I've never understood it.

If you are using ALT+0126 you must first hold down the ALT Key and keep it pressed while you type 0126 and then release the ALT Key.

If you have excel it is quite easy to enter 0 to 255 in Column A and put =CHAR(A1) into B1 and then drag B1 down so that you can see all the printing characters displayed in column B. I'm sure you could do something similar with a "For n = 0 to 255" loop in code.

I'm sorry I posted the wrong code previously; it looks like a Tilde but it isn't one.

PS If using ALT+0126 make sure that you either use the numbers at the top of the keyboard or that NUMLOCK is turned on if you are using the number pad.
    Last edited by Paul Komski; 11-22-2002 at 06:53 PM.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Thread Information