Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Laptop

Post Laptop

Hi all,

Is is possible to download a IBM reference disc for an IBM P/S Model L40SX.
    As I only PC running ME and I dont think the boot discs are the same. Many thanks

-- Wisconsin, U S A -- Ahh, The Power of Cheese !

Does 'reference disk' mean 'restore CD'? Or 'boot disk'?

------------------
    "I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    -- Charles Babbage, mathematician, computer pioneer, analytical engine designer (1791-1871)
    -- (Question: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?')

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand."
    -- Homer Simpson
    "I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    -- Charles Babbage, mathematician, computer pioneer, analytical engine designer (1791-1871)
    -- (Question: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?')

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand."
    -- Homer Simpson

What is it that your after, i.e mothboard manual etc.

Talking

Sorry Guys all I know is that someone gave the computer to a friends kid.(he has learning difficulties.)When he turns it on it asks for a disk. In the manual it says something about a reference disk. He does not have any discs at all. He thinks it is running windose 95, but I only have a boot disc for ME.Can I download a disk for this machine? or do I need re-install an operating system bearing in mind I only have windose 98 and ME on CD only
    I hope this makes a bit more sense
    Cheers

You need to quote what the PC says as best as possible,

For e.g if you have a normal floopy disk installed (not a startup disk) and your BIOS is set to boot from floopy first then you will get the error something like.

"NON-SYSTEM DISK PRESENT"

However you can also get a similar error if your Harddrive does not have a Operating System installed e.g Win 98 or if you Harddrive was not detected.

Get some more info and well take it from there.

(was the machine wiped by the prvious owner)

Thread Information