Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Need help with a problem...

Need help with a problem...

Hi. I was referred here by someone at amdforums.com to get some extra input on a problem i am having.

Last summer i bought an AMD xp1800+ cpu and a soltek drv5 motherboard. I only just got a hold of a bunch of other hardware to get the machine up and running. However, something is wrong. With only motherboard, cpu, ram and video card i get no video. With no video card or ram i don't even get the long beeps that should be there when the baord detects bad or no memory.

I've tried different video cards and different PSU's. Even differents sticks of ram in different slots. All that happens is that the fans spin up and nothing more. If anyone could shed some light on this issue I would be very greatful.

I was using a Leadtek GF4 ti4200 and a 512MB stick of PC2700 Simpletec ram (it's the oonly crap they sell here). I also tried it with a stick of 256MB PC2100 Samsung ram that i know works.

Thanks.

This board has been sitting unused for a year?

It has never booted up for you?

Have you tried removing the battery for a half hour or so and putting it back in, or even replacing the battery with a new one?

Also, double check the case speaker is connected properly.

And, hey, Welcome to the forums!!!
    Last edited by malcore; 07-10-2003 at 09:19 AM.

yes, it has been lying around, unused for a year. in the box. never booted up... the battery is out now. will try again in 30 mins or so. If that doesn't work i'll take the battery from this computer and try it.

I'm pretty sure that the speaker is connected as i have heard it before.

Thanks for the welcome... looks like an awesome forum.

If you try the battery from the computer you are using now, just check and make sure they are the same voltage (you never know).

You probably know this, but when you replace the battery in your working computer, the CMOS may be reset to defaults.

And, yeah this isn't a bad forum.....(bait, bait)

Edit-another thought. When you tried it with the bare minimum, RAM, vid card, keyboard etc, was it still in the case?? Have you tried outside of the case to eliminate the possibility of a short somewhere?
    Last edited by malcore; 07-10-2003 at 09:58 AM.

You have got a lot of patience.You waited a whole year-good on you. Now I have this problem some time ago and the pc started only when I changed the CPU. It was an 2000+. I returned the processor and the store that I bought it from, they had to check it before they would give me a refund. It turned out that it was faulty so I got my money back. After a year I hope this not what is happening in your case.

A couple things to check.
    Jumper setings for FSB. Check the Board Manual and make sure that the FSB is suited for your Processor.
    Have you check that the 1800+ is compat with the soltek drv5
    Are there any jumber settings on the board for power if so is it set in your favor. Boards have been known to be shipped with power off.
    Have you gone back to the soltek with the problem or check there website for advice.
    Check that the CUP in installed correctly. I take it you have done this before??

malcore:

will check the voltage... thanks for that. definatly something i would have assumed to be the same when i tried with bare minimun it was still in the case. good idea to try it outside of the case. I'll try that too.

kingcoop:

I only waited a whole year because i didn't hav ethe money to buy the other parts, hehehe... a forced patience, if you will... I hope that the problem is not directly the mobo or the cpu, as they were both purchased in sweden last summer... and since i am in dubai that leaves getting them replaced rather difficult.

Jumper settings are all correct as far as i know, and i have double checked many times now. Multipliers (set at 11.5 and auto, both make no difference) and FSB all set correctly (even tried FSB at 100 and at auto). 1800+ is compatable. The manual makes no reference to a power switch on the board nor have i seen one. Besides, the board powers up (the ram voltage light goes on and the fans start spinning).

I'm pretty sure the cpu is installed correctly as it only fits in one way. and yes, i have done this before.

thanks a lot for the tips guys, i'll be sure to try them out.

fans start spinning
    Does it continue to spin? if so for how long?

Originally posted by kingcoop

Does it continue to spin? if so for how long?
    until i turn the computer off

If you don't have a short (determined by testing out of the case), it seems likely that it is the mobo and/or CPU. When I had a similar problem with a P4 that I bought parts for at auction, it turned out to be the mobo. Same symptoms as your situation. The only way I know to test this is by swapping the mobo and CPU with a known good compatible system.

If the warranty covers it, you should be able to exchange with either Soltek or AMD depending on which one might turn out to be the issue, rather than having to deal with the original retailer. The other good thing is that if it turns out to be the CPU, that chip or a compatible, but better one, is cheaper these days...
    Budfred ..... Caveat Emptor....

Helpful links SpywareBlaster... HijackThis... ATF Cleaner...

Post a complaint about malware here!!
    So how did I get infected in the first place??

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP member since 2004...

If you PM me for help, expect an irritated response... Post in the forum...

I do agree with Budfred you need to swap MoBo and CPU. Looks like one of them i playing up.

i took the mobo out of the case... cpu, mobo, psu and ram only. No beeping to say that there is no video card... so tomorrow i'll possibly try using a cpu i know works.

Thread Information