Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Can't format Hard Drive

Can't format Hard Drive

I'm trying to set up a Raid 0, but I cannot format my hard drive. I have tried to format it by right clicking on C:, but it keeps telling me to quit windows utilities. I exit all programs and it still wont run. I also tried formatting from safe mode Command prompt but when I try to it says something is using part of the drive or something and still wont let me format. I'm running Windows XP Pro and have a WD360 HD. If you need more specifics let me know.

Also my HD is SATA NFTS

Back up all important data.

Put your winXP cd in rom reboot go into BIOS and set cd as first boot, when system reboots look for message that says "press any key boot from cd" press it but be quick, then follow on screen directions.
    Sometimes your the pigeon, sometimes your the stache.

You need to first set-up the RAID with however many drives you intend to stripe together for the RAID 0. When you have done this you treat the RAID just as you would any partition/drive-letter, by partitioning and formatting it using DOS's fdisk/format or by using other utilities such as Windows Disk Management or Partition Magic.

If you are installing an operating system onto the RAID (or onto the SATA for that matter) you can either restore an image onto the RAID or install anew using the Windows installation CD. If you are installing Win2K/XP remember to press F6 at the start of the installation and have the RAID/SATA drivers ready on a floppy diskette.

What drives do you have installed and on which of them is XP installed.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Ok, having mass ammounts of trouble installing Raid 0. He's what I have attempted so far. I tried to copy the drivers to a floppy, just like that manual says, but unfortunetly, the drivers are to big for the floppy. So, I figured maybe I'll just delete on of those readme files. Then I set up the stripe, and go for a fresh windows xp install. I hit f6, hit "s", put the floppy in....and it says cannot find file txtsetup.oem. The file is clearly on the floppy, it wasnt the file I deleted. Is there anyway to install a raid 0 without reinstalling windows? And why would they make drivers that you need for the Raid unable to fit on a floppy? I have been working on this for hours and I've gotten to the point where I'm gonna take it to a shop, but I'd rather not considering I already spent $1,000+ on parts. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Time to have a smoke and get the heart pumping at 120 bps(beats per second, not bytes per second) again.

Can I install the RAID drivers froma CD like I would a floppy?

Have never attempted to install them from other than a floppy onto which any I have seen fitted quite easily. The files must be in the root of the floppy and not in a sub-folder. I don't think there is any other browse button presented to you which could find a CD - but you might be able to sequentially enter two or more floppies, when the prompt(s) come(s) up. You could try just including the drivers for WinXP if you can tell and select them from the other ones. Normally all of them would get included and you would next get a prompt to select the correct one for your OS from a list; similar to using the add new hardware wizard within windows.

Which motherboard or controller drivers are you using?

The other approach is to install the OS onto an ordinary IDE drive. You would then add the drivers for the sata/raid so that there are no conflicts or problem devices showing in Device Manager and such that the IDE drive can see the SATA drive or the RAID array. You could then make an image of that installation somewhere using a program such as Drive Image (I dont know if Ghost can utilise RAID/SCSI/SATA or not). Then restore that image to the RAID, using DI's boot floppies if necessary.

Even if you had installed directly onto the RAID-0 it is a particularly good idea to have a clone of it somewhere due to the inherent instability of a Stripe RAID-0.
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Ok, on the floppy, you mean I have to have all the file laid out on the floppy, and none of them in a folder? Does that include no subfolder? If that is so, then that could be the problem considering everything was in one folder on the floppy. Is there any way to mirror my raid 0 onto a single IDE? I'm not talking about raid 0+1. But just having my IDE as a backup? Would I have to constantly be updating it, or would it do it automaticly? Just something so that if my comp takes a dump, like it did about a week ago, then I wont lose all my data. I'd rather not go with the burnt CD method. I generally lose the CDs or they get so scratched the data gets jacked up. Again, thanks for all the help.

I think my mobo is a GA-K8VM800M. I'm not sure cuz im at work right now. It's a Gigatech mobo for an amd 64, and I think thats the only one gigatech makes. I could be wrong. I ussually am.

Ok, I got the RAID working fine. Anyone know about make an IDE HDD as a backup?

You will need some software to create and restore images of the raid onto a partition on an ide drive. I like Drive Image but many use Ghost. BootIt NG and Acronis have their advocates as well. The only freebie I know of is ImageMaker 1.1 from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/showthread.php?threadid=1037 and other sites too. It may not work with RAID or SCSI and it doesnt compress the files so they tend to be larger; but it is free.

You can usually run DriveImage from Windows but always make the floppy version in case you get locked out; messing with partitions can always go astray.

Ok, thanks a lot for the help.

Thread Information