Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: OOOLLLDDD Laptop Sound Card Q's

OOOLLLDDD Laptop Sound Card Q's

Hey, fellas.

I just purchased a Dell Latitude CPi R400GT for $25, which is a great deal for me since I'm a college bound student. HOWEVER, even though it realistically is only for word processing and the internet, I'd like to get as much out of it as I can. (Meaning: I want sound :P)

The sound card in it does not work and I've searched for the past two weeks for a working driver with no success.

Using EVEREST Home Edition, I was able to find out what sound card is inside. It's a NeoMagic MagicMedia 256 + AC97 ... apparently the NeoMagic corp. no longer provides the drivers. So I went to other driver sites. I downloaded the driver for the specific card... yet while installing on my Win 98SE system, it asks for a .cab file that I could not find anywhere on the internet or the Win98SE cd and I'm not sure it even exists. So I need different solutions.

Is there any other way to get sound out of this thing without having to spend more money?

And if I do, are there any other external cards I can buy (since I don't think I can replace mine in this old of a laptop) for a cheap price? I've already searched around, and pretty much all of them exceed my system's specs anyway. So any solutions?

Specs:
    Latitude CPi R400GT
    Pentium II PE
    400 Mhz
    128 MD SDRam

USB1 Controller Slot

Thanks...

Oh, and let me give you the link of the only driver I could find that fits that soundcard.
    http://members.driverguide.com/drive...riverid=135020

Then, while installing w/ the Win98SE cd intact, it asks for:
    Nm6wdm.cab
    ...which is not on my computer, win98se disc, or the internet... any help? If I skip this, the driver doesn't seem to work once it's done.

Looks like you are trying to install a WinME driver.
    The file "Nm6wdm.sys" is in the "Driver6.cab" file on the WinME CD.
    Find the file listed here http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272608

I once had a similar situation to this.
    Installing a driver and it needed a file from one of the Win98SE cabinet files, and couldn't find it.
    The reason it couldn't find it was because I had [in error] given the wizard the Win98 1st edition files instead.
    I had installed Windows [98SE] from a partition on my HDD, and then replaced those with 98 1st Ed [OOPS!]

Thread Information