Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: No connection!

No connection!

Hey folks,

I am not getting a connection from my DSL line using my mobo's Broadcom 5789 Gigabit Ethernet controller. When I plug the DSL cable in, I receive a green light on the controller and the taskbar icon shows that the cable is acquiring a network address. Some packets are shown as sent, but none as received. If I try to "repair" the connection, the only numbers I get are the IP address and subnet mask.

I know the DSL connection is good because I can hook up other computers to it and access the internet just fine. I also am able to access the internet if I use a different Ethernet card installed into one of the motherboard's PCI slots. I have made sure that I have the lastest drivers from the Gigabtye site. I can't ping anything either.

I don't think know if it would make a difference, but I had just recently installed a new heatsink. I took as much care as I could installing it and don't think I would've damaged anything. The green light on the ethernet controller would seem to me to indicate that it is functioning.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Land of 10,000 Lakes and Minnesota nice!!
    I just got mine up and running after upgrading the firmware...

Here's the routine...When you open the popup that has Repair...slide down to Properties. That will open the dialogue box with NetWork connections. Right click on the network icon (I hope you find one there) and then highlight the TCP/IP also clicking on Properties.

Under the General tab, make sure that both of the upper radio buttons are ticked: obtain and IP and DNS automatically...Click OK...

Then under RUN command...type in cmd...enter. Then type in ipconfig...enter.

Hopefully all the lines will have information...

Then, type in ping 4.2.2.2 enter... There is a space between ping and the number 4

That's what they did for me...
    Lighten up! --- A merry heart does good like a medicine. (Proverbs 17:22)

Thanks Whyzman - I tried your suggestion. The ipconfig doesn't give me all of the numbers. I don't get a DNS Suffix or Default Gateway. I do get a Autoconfig IP Address and Subnet Mask. When I try the ping, I don't get anything (Destination host unreachable).

Land of 10,000 Lakes and Minnesota nice!!
    Under the General tab, make sure that both of the upper radio buttons are ticked: obtain and IP and DNS automatically...Click OK...
    ipconfig is more a confirmation that Windows has indeed supplied the IP and DNS for you...

I wish I had more for you...this has been my first trip down networking and wireless... I was just doing what I was told by tech-support and writing it down in case I had to redo the procedure later...
    Lighten up! --- A merry heart does good like a medicine. (Proverbs 17:22)

Well, you know, the internet is a weird thing. Or, at least internet connections are. I finally gave up around 2 am having really done nothing different. When I woke up this morning I turned on my machine and...voila! Internet connection! And I had done nothing different. Sigh...Thanks for the help Whyzman!

I am having a similar problem with my internet connection. However, I use the nvidia forceware network controller. Every time I play internet games on Steam, it eventually disconnects me from the internet, though it will still say that it's still connected to the internet. But none of my browsers can connect to any website. When I don't play games, I can sustain a aonnection for approximately 4-5 hours before it dies.

I have done the cmd and ipconfig as suggested above, and I'm getting information for every part. Nothing seems to be out of place. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by pcg999
    I am having a similar problem with my internet connection. However, I use the nvidia forceware network controller. Every time I play internet games on Steam, it eventually disconnects me from the internet, though it will still say that it's still connected to the internet. But none of my browsers can connect to any website. When I don't play games, I can sustain a aonnection for approximately 4-5 hours before it dies.

I have done the cmd and ipconfig as suggested above, and I'm getting information for every part. Nothing seems to be out of place. Any suggestions?
    Do the cmd routine again but this time type in netsh diag gui and hit ENTER.
    Then run through the diagnosis program.

Thread Information