Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: "Turn off Computer" needs to be requested twice

"Turn off Computer" needs to be requested twice

I always have to "turn off" my computer twice, since my recent reformat.
    Start -> Turn off Computer... -> Turn off
    (wait. 2 hours, 5 seconds, doesn't matter. Nothing happens.)
    Start -> Turn off Computer... -> Turn off
    (It starts closing windows and turning off.)

Nothing ever comes up to suggest a program is running in the background. It is now doing this every single time.

Ideas?

2 questions....

1)What version of Windows do you have?

2) Will it shut down in Safe Mode normally? (Right before the Windows logo appears press F8 to enter Safe Mode) You may already know this but I added in here just in case
    "I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious." -- Vince Lombardi

Here goes. Having to request twice for a shut down? Sounds like your task manager isn't responding immediately to shut down your computer. You may have to do some task manager tweeking. Use your computer t/s chart and go to task manager t/s hopefully it will help you find why it's not responding at first click.

1. Win XP Pro SP 2
    2. Yes it will shut down normally in safe mode.

Larry, what do you mean by my computer t/s chart?

Hi, any thoughts from anyone?

I was having the same problem and assumed something had become corrupt with my system. Disabling the Automatic Updates service fixed my problems. Use it at your own risk.

Here are two known causes of shutdown and reboot problems in Windows XP SP2:

Caused by automatic Windows update installation. - If Windows XP SP2 is set to obtain and install updates automatically, when shutting down, it checks for Windows updates that have been downloaded but not installed. If there are one or more, it then offers to install them. A very slow shutdown probably occurs on that occasion, but if something goes wrong, the shutdown can hang completely.

More Info: http://www.google.com/search?q=xp+sl...n&lr=&safe=off

"any thoughts from anyone?"
    I think it significant that Windows shuts down ok in Safe Mode.
    In Safe mode there are no extra/unnecessary programs running in the background.
    And I think it likely, that one of those programs which is no longer running when Windows is in Safe Mode, is the one interfering with the Windows program that does the shutting down.
    When in the normal Windows environment, that Program [whatever it is] is "Not Responding".
    So when you shut down the first time, the interfering program is shut down, hence is no longer in a position to interfere.
    So when you shut down the second time the shut down program works normally and all is well that time.

I suggest you run in "msconfig->Diagnostic Mode" and see if shut down works first time.
    If it does, run msconfig in "Normal Startup", but close all the unnecessary Startup programs [the tick boxes under the Startup tab] to see if shut down is normal.
    If it is, then one of the programs on the Startup list is the culprit.
    Get the idea?

Any chance that it may be a weird setting from my adaware, or symantec antivirus, trying to protect me from something or other?

I don't have a lot of things running when I try to shut down, or much on auto start, (so there wouldn't be anything showing up in the application list as not responding), and, it doesn't really hang... it just acts like I didn't ask it to do anything. I can ask it to shut down, enjoy some web browsing, what have you, for as long as I like, and then ask it again... the second time is always the charm, it seems. (well, I believe that on rare occasions it will still shut down the first time, but it never needs three requests.)

Just wondering about this possibility, and I will check into both the suggestions posted...

"I don't have a lot of things running when I try to shut down, or much on auto start"
    You might be surprised if you saw ALL that's running in the background.
    I have 16 items listed in my "Close Program" window; but Wintop.exe & Process Explorer show 27 programs running.

"so there wouldn't be anything showing up in the application list as not responding"
    Quite often...when some program stops responding...nothing shows in the "Close Program" window as "Not Responding"...and it's only at the 2nd "End Task" that a "This program is not Responding" dialogue shows on screen.

"it doesn't really hang... it just acts like I didn't ask it to do anything"
    Exactly!
    It's not that the whole PC freezes.
    Only one or two programs may "Stop Responding".
    And you'd see no obvious sign...
    Except that in your case the Windows "Shut Down" program is not responding...
    Until the 2nd attempt.

"it never needs three requests"
    I too have never seen it take 3 requests to shut down an instance [or sometimes two] of a "Not Responding" program so that a new instance can be started that WILL work, or another program will begin working once again.

"Any chance that it may be a weird setting from my adaware, or symantec antivirus, trying to protect me from something or other?"
    Doesn't ring true to me.

It could also be that you have set a program to clear your paging\swap file at shutdown. this can cause long delay in closing.
    Ernie

The difference between perseverance and obstinancy is that one is made from strong will, and the other from strong won't
    Henry Ward Beecher
    Do you have reading problems? Don't let it deter you. This is what YOU can do if you try http://www.erniek.eclipse.co.uk

"MS" XP SP2 = f**ks the power settings in "unknown" way+S

BIOS is/may be a starting point

payed good money too, linux is much more reliable & un-stressful

Thread Information