Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Win 98 memory management

Post Win 98 memory management

I am using a 128mb sdram and a 256mb sdram, but it seems that windows 98 doesn't like to use more than the 128mb of ram. I have seen on other sites that this is a problem. Does anyone know of some way to get win98SE to more effectively utilize ALL of my ram? It sure would be nice

Windows98 can use more than 128MB...one of the things to consider though is whether it is worth it. Many mother boards limit how much maemory can be installed in each slot, so that is where to check first...to see if your MOBO can handle a 256MB stick. Also what kind of applications are you running...video editing and graphics intesive work use a lot of memory and can handle the large amounts, but many "business" spps don't really need it. Some games can benefit from more memory than 128MB. Also you'll see large increases in performance going from 32 to 128 but you won't see much of an increase going from 128 to 256 or higher.

------------------
    mjc
    Links list:Computer Links

Celts are the men that heaven made mad, For all their battles are merry and their songs are all sad.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

-- Wisconsin, U S A -- Ahh, The Power of Cheese !

Many mobo's work better with the larger stick in the lowest-numbered DIMM slot.

------------------
    "I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    -- Charles Babbage, mathematician, computer pioneer, analytical engine designer (1791-1871)
    -- (Question: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?')

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand."
    -- Homer Simpson
    "I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    -- Charles Babbage, mathematician, computer pioneer, analytical engine designer (1791-1871)
    -- (Question: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?')

-- Homer Simpson

The best way to go in this situation IMHO, would be to take out the 128 stick and run the 256 by itself..........

But as mjc stated, Id verify if the MoBo can handle a stick of 256 before I did anything else..........

As recommended by MS the maximum "recommended" Ram for Win9x/ME is 512mb
    <- in case anyone was in search of that answer......................

(This is not a limit only a recommendation by MS for the reason stated below)

Not really relavent to ArtOfKicking's problem, but since the max Ram for windows is part of the question, just figured Id add this, to answer that issue.....

The Windows 32-bit protected-mode cache driver (Vcache) determines the maximum cache size based on the amount of RAM that is present when Windows starts. Vcache then reserves enough memory addresses to permit it to access a cache of the maximum size so that it can increase the cache to that size if needed. These addresses are allocated in a range of virtual addresses from 0xC0000000 through 0xFFFFFFFF (3 to 4 gigabytes) known as the system arena.

On computers with large amounts of RAM, the maximum cache size can be large enough that Vcache consumes all of the addresses in the system arena, leaving no virtual memory addresses available for other functions such as opening an MS-DOS prompt (creating a new virtual machine).

anyways back to the topic, unless this machine is a server or is running "Extreme" memory hog programs, such as certain graphics editing software, there shouldnt be much need for anything over 256 and if the board can handle the 256 stick Id just stick with that..............

I am a little confused about the question in that, are you saying that the Ram isnt recognized on boot up? or what exactly do you mean by utilize the ram?
    ----------------
    ----------------
    What I meant by what I said is hopefully less confusing then the contemplation of the question that led to the confusion in the 1st place.......

[This message has been edited by AwARe (edited 06-19-2001).]
    Read the information. If you have problems understanding the information, read it again. Repeat until enlightenment is achieved.

Until you exceed 512MB of RAM, the notion that Windows runs 'better' or 'worse'
    with either 128, 256, 384 or some other combination is not supported by the facts.

Even with amounts greater than 512, there are settings changes you can
    make to increase performance and prevent problems from occurring.

For reference and background see of Memory" Error Messages with Large Amounts of RAM Installed in the MSKB.

You do, however, have to do this within the constraints imposed by the mobo / BIOS / chipset.

------------------

-- Homer Simpson

[This message has been edited by tjaymadison (edited 06-19-2001).]

-- Homer Simpson

Cool

Okay here's where I stand. There mobo can handle the 256 stick ( in fact it is can handle 3 X 512mb. As for the question to help clarify, if for instance I the normal virus scan and firewalls as well as some other things running in the background, I can start a game which will use quite a bit of memory when played alone-the amount of memory actually used by the system ( as reported by norton sys monitor) doesn't go up as much as it uses when played with other programs off.

EDIT -- My link above should read:

Out of Memory Error Messages with Large Amounts of RAM Installed.

------------------

-- Homer Simpson

-- Homer Simpson

tj,

You are correct sir,

but if your statments mean to suggest, that I was saying such a thing........I was not
    To me its a waste of a good 128mb stick, because rarely if ever is a home user going to need more then 256, "if they even need that much".....

and I have a sneaking suspision when the 256 stick is placed in slot 0 and the 128 stick is removed, any problems that may exist are going to be going away as well

as far as the setting changes etc you can make that will allow you to use more ram, this is in fact true , but if you "dont need" more then 512, the recommendation is to stay with 512 or lower when running Win98/ME.........

but Im still a bit confused as to what it is youre saying AOK......

I think if Im hearing this right,
    are you saying that "all" your resources are depleted with all those programs running and then you play a game? and then when you turn off the other programs the amount of Ram freed up by the programs, isnt then utilized by the game?............any program is only going to use as much ram as it "needs", its "not" going to use all the Ram avail, unless the amount available is less then what it needs..........

Does this answer your question AOK?

------------------
    ----------------
    What I meant by what I said is hopefully less confusing then the contemplation of the question that led to the confusion in the 1st place.......

[This message has been edited by AwARe (edited 06-19-2001).]
    Read the information. If you have problems understanding the information, read it again. Repeat until enlightenment is achieved.

Thread Information