Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Locking my computer

Locking my computer

I am hoping someone can help me with this. I have a computer running windows XP pro. I would like to lock my computer where I am the only one has access to it. I want to do it like the stores, where when you boot the computer it ask for a password right away. I don't want it to actually start windows and ask for a user name. I need it lock before it get to that point. Can this be done? And if so, how do I do it. Please help.

Hi DLeonR...

Take a look HERE
    Might be what you are looking for!
    Vox clamantis in deserto..

Member of ASAP (Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals)

Hi Fred Flintstone, I think this is what I am looking for. I just never thought of the bios. I was more thinking in windows, but I think this is what I want. Tomorrow I will try it and see if this is what I wanted. Thanks again.

As it say's in the link... not foolproof, but should stop the casual user from getting in without a password..

At least it asks for a password almost as soon as you switch on.. before windows starts etc!..

Hope it works for you and glad to be of help..
    Vox clamantis in deserto..

Member of ASAP (Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals)

Make sure you tattoo it to the insides of your eyelids because if you lose it, policy here is we don't help you over-ride it. This is in case someone is wanting in to something stolen or doesn't have the proper permissions.

with XP Pro, you can do it within windows as well, but same policy goes for that also.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I hear you Fruss. And I know why you guys would not want to do that. However, I do know how to clear it, if I had to. I just did not remember the bios part of securing the compouter. Thanks again to all the help from you guys.

A BIOS password is one way and a boot manager password is another. Even with a normal single boot BiNG or XOSL can have a password set. Neither password would keep a geek out but would be effective against most ordinary users. If one does multiboot then one might password protect just one installation and let all users loose on other ones.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Just want to let you folks know that I got accomplished what I was looking for. I could lock the computer the way that I wanted.
    Thanks to all of you out there on this great site.

Thread Information