Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: LPT-USB Cabel for printer

LPT-USB Cabel for printer

Hello!
    I have LPT printer and no parallel port on my MB so I decided to use LPT-USB connection cable. However, I have problem with its installation. There are drivers on cd but only for windows 98. It is supposed to work on windows xp automatically... it isn't. The device is recognised properly (as IEEE-1284 Controller) but the installation cannot be completed (compatible software cannot be found).

Do you have maybe any ideas? I tried installing win98 driver but it didn't work (crashed).

Thank you for any ideas,
    Theriel

My first thought, if the cable does not work as advertized, take it back, and exchange it for a PCI card with a parallel port.

Second thought, when installing, try loading the WIN XP disc, and see if any drivers can be found there.
    be wary of strong drink - it may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!

I tried taking winxp cd - didn't work... I cannot take PCI LPT controller - don't have free PCI slot #-/.

Land of 10,000 Lakes and Minnesota nice!!
    *For Windows 2000 and Windows XP, Microsoft follows IEEE 1284 Specification to support standard driver bundled in Windows. When you plug in the USB to Parallel cable, Windows 2000 or XP will automatically detect the USB to Parallel Bridge cable and will install the needed driver.
    Lighten up! --- A merry heart does good like a medicine. (Proverbs 17:22)

Oh, the adapters will not work with all-in-one units, e.g., scanner/printer/fax devices.

Ehhh I know what the theory is, however it is not detected and installed properly. I don't it to be working with all the devices. At the moment I want just to have the cable installed properly. Maybe it is possible somehow to have the IEEE drivers separated from the system? Just for the purpose of the installer, to have to know what directory I should select? #-/

Quote Originally Posted by Whyzman View Post
    Oh, the adapters will not work with all-in-one units, e.g., scanner/printer/fax devices.
    Hopefully this isn't a threadjack type thing, but it's relevant and I figured it would be okay to ask here. Is this true across the board? I hadn't heard that before, but it doesn't exactly suprise me either. I've got a Linux desktop which evidently can't support my Xerox XE90fx, and a notebook without any parallel port. This is a pretty nice laser printer/copier/fax/scanner and I'd like to utilize it.

Are there limitations with any other options I should be aware of? I was thinking of getting a network-enabled print server to plug into my wireless hub, rather than need the printer tied to my notebook. Any input would be appreciated.

Now this is a thread-jacking if I've ever seen one!

But PG, I'm hot on your heels! I want to setup a similar thing too so my post and your's belong elsewhere imo. Move us mod's, it's your job!

I have a wireless router but not a print server so my options may not be what you choose for an avenue. I hope to accomplish access to my printer(s) via sharing enabled on my XP pc through the home networked router. Whether my laptop is booted to ME or XP and even Knoppix for that matter, I would like a way to print through the wired tower.

I mean, the only reason to plug a wire into a laptop is, for one purpose only and that is to charge the batteries, right? All else should function telepathically!
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

The heads-up with the all-in-ones is from RAM Electronics...who usually know their stuff... Here's the direct link:

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/u...nter_cable.htm (down the page a tad)

Oh, it's probably Okay for the minor divergence...our thread starter didn't say whether the unit was an all-in-one...I think some of the earlier units were parallel...I think!

Thread Information