Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Windows Updates - causing laptop to constantly reboot - Duplicate threads merged...

Windows Updates - causing laptop to constantly reboot - Duplicate threads merged...

Hi guys,

I'm brand new to this PC stuff so bear with me if my posting seems vague or badly worded. I'm actually a unix administrator !! but, because my friends at home know that I work in "computers" they have decided I must know everything about everything, no matter what platform it is !!

So, my mate asked me to rebuild his laptop as it was so riddled with spyware and viruses it was easier to start again. Fair enough I thought. He's done me pleant favours so I'll do him one in return.

The laptop in question is a Dell Latitude. I installed XP Pro and then SP2. I then installed installed the drivers for sound and video cards. At this stage all was OK. I then set up his broadband connection and allowed Windows Update to automatically download and install the High Priority updates. There were 76 updates to come down !! I know this is lots of updates but assumed all would be OK. I can't be specific about the point at which it cracked up as I wasn't there at the time, all I know is that I came back into the house to find the laptop permanently rebooting itself. It only got about a third of the way through the boot sequence at the point where it rebooted again. i.e. it was not getting anyhere near a full boot before booting again.

My friend was so sick of the thing that he decided to rebuild the laptop again (I gave him the instructions) but this time switch Windows Update off to avoid the same problem again.

So I guess my question is this ..... how can my friend get the 76 updates onto his laptop without the laptop getting all upset about it !! And also, I wanted to get members general view of what is happening here. Is this a known type of problem with windows updates or have I come across soemthing really odd here ? and do the updates have to be installed in a very specific order ?

Thanks very much for any advice received on this thread.

Windows Updates - causing laptop to constantly reboot

Hi guys,

I'm brand new to this PC stuff so bear with me if my posting seems vague or badly worded. I'm actually a unix administrator !! but, because my friends at home know that I work in "computers" they have decided I must know everything about everything, no matter what platform it is !!

So, my mate asked me to rebuild his laptop as it was so riddled with spyware and viruses it was easier to start again. Fair enough I thought. He's done me pleant favours so I'll do him one in return.

The laptop in question is a Dell Latitude. I installed XP Pro and then SP2. I then installed installed the drivers for sound and video cards. At this stage all was OK. I then set up his broadband connection and allowed Windows Update to automatically download and install the High Priority updates. There were 76 updates to come down !! I know this is lots of updates but assumed all would be OK. I can't be specific about the point at which it cracked up as I wasn't there at the time, all I know is that I came back into the house to find the laptop permanently rebooting itself. It only got about a third of the way through the boot sequence at the point where it rebooted again. i.e. it was not getting anyhere near a full boot before booting again.

My friend was so sick of the thing that he decided to rebuild the laptop again (I gave him the instructions) but this time switch Windows Update off to avoid the same problem again.

So I guess my question is this ..... how can my friend get the 76 updates onto his laptop without the laptop getting all upset about it !! And also, I wanted to get members general view of what is happening here. Is this a known type of problem with windows updates or have I come across soemthing really odd here ? and do the updates have to be installed in a very specific order ?

Thanks very much for any advice received on this thread.

my suggestion- manually install the updates from the website,
    do NOT use automatic updates to do it, or use the "Express" function
    www.microsoft.com
    search for "microsoft update"
    install only 5-10 at a time
    Last edited by Ajmukon; 03-29-2007 at 12:28 PM. Reason: farther instructions

Welcome to Discussion Forums!!!

This is the link you want:
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

Let it run and download all 'Windows Update Updates' then when you have the option, choose to install them manually... You want all of them (pretty much) unless there is a specific reason not to install one (ie he doesn't want Windows Media Player 11, or something). Also, you may choose to not install Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications... some people have problems with that.

It will take about an hour and a half on a high-speed connection. Let it install and reboot as it wishes.

Let us know if you have the same problem
    Don't fear the penguin - www.slackware.com

Also I generally do Windows, Drivers, Updates.

Other than that sometimes these things just happen, so give it another try before worrying.
    Erik

Thread Information