Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Windows does not recognize my burner as a burner.

Windows does not recognize my burner as a burner.

I recently installed a TEAC CD-Writer Plus in my old Gateway running Windows 2000. Windows correctly identifies it as a TEAC model CD W54E, but shows it as a CD-ROM, not a burner. There is no Recording tab under Properties like there should be. I looked for an updated driver on the TEAC website here but regardless of the product I select I get "Webpage cannot be found." Nothing whatsoever at DriverGuide.com either where I can usually find anything.

Any suggestions?

Seem to recall I had that problem a long while ago!
    Try This Link and see if that sorts it for you?
    SYMPTOMS
    When you attempt to burn data to a compact disc recordable (CD-R) drive or compact disc rewritable (CD-RW) drive, you may not have the option to send data to the CD-ROM drive.

When you view the properties of the CD-R drive or CD-RW drive, you may notice that the Recording tab is not displayed in the CD Drive (drive_letter Properties dialog box, where drive_letter is the letter of the CD-R drive or CD-RW drive.
    Fred..
    Vox clamantis in deserto..

Member of ASAP (Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals)

RESOLUTION
    To resolve this issue, edit the Microsoft Windows registry to identify the CD-R drive or CD-RW drive as a recordable drive. To do this, follow these steps.WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
    1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    3. Expand the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\CD Burning\Drives

When I get to the Explorer level, there is no CD Burning folder in the Registry. Is this perhaps because I'm using Win 2000 instead of XP? The KB article says it refers to XP Pro and Home.

Any other ideas?

Did you load any burning software for this drive? That may change things to being recognized.

If not, try uninstalling the drive in Device Manager and reboot. That will force windows to 'see' it again and possibly get it right this time.

Thirdly, it's a 4x4x32 burner. That is O-L-D-! It may be dead burner-wise and only usable as a reader. Anything that old here at home died and went to burner Heaven long ago!
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by Fruss Tray Ted View Post
    Did you load any burning software for this drive? That may change things to being recognized.
    There's a freebie on File Hippo called DeepBurner that I'm not familiar with. Are you aware of any other free burning programs (not free trials) that are user-friendly and reliable? I'll download one and see if it makes a difference.

If not, try uninstalling the drive in Device Manager and reboot. That will force windows to 'see' it again and possibly get it right this time.
    No difference.

Thirdly, it's a 4x4x32 burner. That is O-L-D-! It may be dead burner-wise and only usable as a reader. Anything that old here at home died and went to burner Heaven long ago!
    Yes, I pulled it out of a clunker that gave up the ghost. The computer itself if rather old and slow. My plan is to give it to my father after I get this burner to work. If not, I'll just leave it a reader. I'm not sure Dad needs a burner anyway.

Freebies? You gotta know where to LQQK!

Another thing I noticed when I Googled that burner model was many hits returned were for firmware updates. Perhaps you could give one of them a try as a last resort.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Thread Information