Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: An all too familar story...I need help with cpu...

Post An all too familar story...I need help with cpu...

REcently...my hard drive got burnt so one day when i was at school my dad took my tower too some people to get it fixed, first he took it too someone but they didn't have any hard disks...eventually he got a new one...when i took it home i realised my comp was running at 90MHZ instead of the usual 166MHZ... so then i went with my dad to get a new processor (the person denied they changed it). Anyway... I got a new processor put it in but still runs at 90Mz. Now I know its something to do with CMOS.. but what i need to know is how to get the CMOS or wateva to recognize the new processor and make my computer run back at 166mhz...can anyone help?

Thanks your help will be greatly appreciated.

Hiya
    On a MB that old i doubt it is in BIOS settings.

Look on the motherboard for jumpers.

More than likely there will be setting silk screened on the MB for what the jumpers are for. You need 66Mhz on the FSB and 2.5 on the Multiplier.(i think). Laters...

you might want to clarify exactly what cpu you have (Pentium, Pentium w/MMX, AMD K5, Cyrix 5x86, IDT WinChip...)

------------------
    Chad Wilson
    C++/ASM Programmer
    PC Support Technician
    Chad Wilson
    C++/ASM Programmer
    PC Support Technician

ok jumpers are like things i can touch right? Umm.... i don't know exact cpu details but for it to be a pentium chip it has to have PENTIUM written on it right? =D

oh and FSB? Thanks your help is greatly appreciated.

Where are you seeing the CPU speed as 90MHz? When it is booting? It does not seem to me to be a product of standard bus speeds and multipliers.

The BIOS may also show what type CPU you have, but that depends on the BIOS ID'ing the CPU correctly.

This PCGuide link provides some more detail about setting the motherboard jumpers.

It would help if you can provide the brand and model number of the motherboard.

------------------
    reido@my-deja.com

Blog Entries

Sorry guys, I didn't realize this one was double posted. Check the other topic, it's been fixed, and this one's being locked...

------------------
    My hairdresser charges me a finder's fee!!

Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Thread Information