Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: FTP help

FTP help

Hi,

i've installed iis from the win xp cd to my pc and am using the ftp.
    I have windows xp pro
    I set it up good and its working well, but i can only conect to the server
    by ip. I'd like to connect by domain name, but i have no luck cause when i enter the name it give me a message saying : windows cannot acces this folder ,make sure you typed the file name correctly and that you have permission to access the folder.

any expert out there can help me plZ !!

thanx

You need to edit your host file on the XP computer to point to your FTP server. Navigate to your system32\drivers\etc folder in your Windows directory and edit your host file like this:

IPaddress of FTP server FTP server domain name

Save and exit.

If that fails checkout this post.

Hope this helps
    Ferengi Rules of Acquistion:
    Rule # 47
    Don't trust a man wearing a better suit than your own.

hi

sorry but i did not understand can u explain again plz cause im not very clever, ok i went in the drivers folder but what is the host file and how do i edit it because i cant even open any file in that folder because they are different formats

thanks again

Right click on the file hosts (may be spelled HOSTS) and select Open with...choose Notepad, then do the edits, save and exit.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Thread Information