Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Problems with TV-out resolution...

Question Problems with TV-out resolution...

Hi.

- nVIDIA G-Force FX5200 AGP graphics card.
    - Correct TV standard selected for my country(PAL-B)

I'm trying to get the @$%^!@ TV-out to work, but although it does to some degree, the video frame is outside the TV frame.

Look at this example:

See how the edge of the PC desktop frame, is cut off?

I have changed resolutions up and down(and what feels like sideways aswell!), and am getting no-where.

If not for the better video quality of an AGP card, I would just keep using my el-cheapo EXTERNAL VGA-TV converter - at least it freaking works...

Grrrrrrrr.

As mentioned, I have made sure that the TV standard is correct for NZ.

It's an incredibly simple request, to be able to adjust the screen size, but do you think the nVIDIA control software will let me do it?!??!!!!

YOU CAN adjust the relitive screen POSITION, but NOT the actual screen size, which is what I need to be able to do.

*INCREDIBLY LARGE sigh*

Can anyone here offer some ideas as to why it might be out of frame like this?

Thanks.
    "An expert is someone who will tell you why you can't do something." - Alec Issigonis (designer of the Mini)

OK, guys, I went and downloaded the latest driver package from nVIDIA, installed it, and it seems to have fixed itself...

I would have thought that the driver CD that came with the card was the right one to use, however, AGP cards have kinda gone now in favor of PCI-e, haven't they?(rhetorical!)

Obviously the XP drivers on the CD were way out of date.

The new package seems to have fixed this issus I was having.

Mods: You can delete this thread if you like.
    :]
    "An expert is someone who will tell you why you can't do something." - Alec Issigonis (designer of the Mini)

The drivers on the CD are very seldom the best ones to use...even with an AGP card. Heck, the nVidia drivers, depending on the series, still support AGP cards and offer fixes/improvements.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Wow, yeah, I was surprised to find that there was only ONE download package(about 50MB or so) which contains driver software for ALL of the GeFORCE range - from the FX-5200(my one) all the way up to the 8800 Ultra!(the GPU, naturally...)

In some ways, this makes sense, and simplifies finding the drivers you need, but makes for a big download file.

Interestingly, the FX-5200 I have, has passive heatsinking.
    It runs well, but BOY that passive heatsink gets HOT.
    I measured 68'C with my digital thermometer - heatsink temp.
    Allowing for thermal resistance, the temp of the GPU die must be getting up near 80'C at least - TOO HOT for my tastes.

...I fitted a cooling-fan to the heatsink...

(heatsink temp now a much more respectable 37-39'C, meaning GPU die temp more in the order of 50-55'C which is fine. Assuming an AVERAGE thermal difference of 10'C or so between die and heatsink...)

hi.can you help me..im trying to put my pc to tv..i bought a new philips 42in tv i was hopeing to use it as my monitor..but when i set the tv up and went looking for vga outputs on tv,there was only 2.hdmi outputs,but when i went looking at the tv manual it said, how to connect pc to tv, i had to connect a dvi to hdmi cable,but my pc does not have a dvi output only vga,,so i bought a dvi to vga adapter so i could used the vga part of the adapter to put it to pc and on the other side is a dvi part then i put the dvi part of the cable into the dvi part of the adaper then i was left with hdmi part of the cable.yes so i taught.when i put the hdmi part into the tv (notting).is there somthing else i need to do.

If the TV does not have a VGA input(many now do), then it is best to use either S-Video or RGB from the VGA-TV converter - chuck the DVI and HDMI cables to one side for the moment.

If you have a DVI-VGA adaptor, these are normally moulded as one unit, with a DVI plug on one end, and a VGA socket on the other. These contain no "Intelligence", and just passively mix the signals from the DVI socket together in such a way as to generate a standard VGA output.
    You can't use an adaptor like this in reverse, to generate DVI from a VGA signal.

What you need, is a VGA-TV converter.
    They convert the VGA signals via a box of electronics, into composite video or S-video, and some even provide RGB output too.

Once you have the VGA-TV adaptor:

- Plug VGA-TV converter into PC

- If your TV has an S-video input, and the adaptor an S-Video output, this is the way to go.

- Most converters only have composite video output, which is a yellow RCA socket. This connects from the converter, to the AV input of your TV.

Really expensive converters also have a RGB output, and if this is the case, then use that, as it will provide the best picture.

For PC on your TV, and assuming you DON'T have VGA or DVI inputs on your TV, the S-Video or composite video is the way to do it.
    Last edited by Mini-Me; 12-20-2007 at 12:59 AM.

ill give it a go ill let you know how i get on..ty for the quick reply

Good luck.

Thread Information