Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Sony VAIO PCG-FRV26 won't take >512MB of memory

Sony VAIO PCG-FRV26 won't take >512MB of memory

Hello, forum dwellers. I'd highly appreciate your advice on the following matter.

I have a Sony VAIO PCG-FRV26 laptop. The machine runs XP SP2, fully updated. It currently has 2x256 DDR266 SODIMMs (by Infineon). The laptop's manual says the memory is expandable to 1GB; so do other online sources regarding this particular model. I wanted to upgrade the memory to 1GB, so I bought 2 Kingston ValueRAM 512MB DDR266 SODIMMs. However, the system keeps using only half of it --- System Properties/General says 448MB of RAM. When I run Everest utility, it shows the machine sees both 512MB modules with no problem. When I install 1 512MB module and 1 256MB (=768MB in total), the memory is still reported to be 448MB (it ignores the 265MB SODIMM)

Can you pls tell me what the possible reasons may be that the memory does not go beyond 512MB. Thank you.

First maybe confirm the integrity of each stick by just inserting one at a time and leave one slot empty.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Thread Information