Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Video Card Upgrade in the Future Question

Video Card Upgrade in the Future Question

I just had a thought. I'm sure that two 8800gt 512mb cards are a great graphics system to have in a computer. I bought one but may upgrade to two if I can afford later on.

My question is....if I bought one 8800gt 1gb card, is that the same as two 512mb cards??? I would think the two 8800gt cards are better, but I'm not sure why.

Anyone care to explain?

Thanks,
    Evan

I'm sure that two 8800gt 512mb cards are a great graphics system to have in a computer
    indeed

if I bought one 8800gt 1gb card, is that the same as two 512mb cards
    NO, NO, NO, memory amounts have little to do with speed, a 8800gt 1gb s no faster than a 8800gt 512gb in any curent game.

A single graphics card with more video memory is just that... it won't go any faster than the same card with less video memory. 512 mb is plenty.
    Even if you have 2x 8800 GT, you will STILL only have 512 mb of video memory. What SLI does is use two graphics chips to render your video textures, so you get approximately 80% performance gain. That is to say, if a game runs at only 40 fps on high settings with 1 card, with 2 cards you should get about 72 fps with 2 cards... from barely playable to playable with some wiggle room. But you will STILL only have 512 mb of video memory. That does not change, ever.
    Current build:
    Cooler Master HAF 922 case
    Thermaltake 750 watt modular psu
    MSI P67A-C43 board
    8 GB Corsair XMS DDR3 1300
    Intel core i5 Sandy Bridge quad core@ 3.3 ghz
    MSI GTX 570
    WD 2 TB HDD
    64-bit Windows 7
    Rosewill USB Wirless Adapter
    LG Blu-Ray DVD Combo Drive
    I'm a PC!