Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: RIP Hp D145

RIP Hp D145

After more than my fair share of hassles with this printer (4in1)
    Like many others who picked up one of the office printers

Everything from print heads going bad for no reason
    Ink cartridges going out of date before they are empty
    and the printer giving poor print quality unless it is used EVERY DAY

I retired the D145 today

It refused to even run a self test because the Black cartridge was out of date
    it refused to tell me if the print heads were bad again
    In fact it refused do anything until I replaced the Black print cartridge

I Didn't

The price of new print cartridges and 4 print heads was almost as much as a new Officejet 4in1

RIP D145

Welcome new HP L7680
    No more cartridges
    Instead they use tanks Like My long lived 1100
    A 8.5x14 scanner bed ( required) and a fax.
    and built in Ethernet

They ( HP) have fixed the problems with these models
    The scanner works with both XP and Vista across the network
    It also supports memory cards and usb thumb drives ( not a requirement for me) directly without needing a system running

fast clean prints and reasonable price

I see a great variation in price so obviously worth shopping around.

What's the difference between a tank and a cartridge and do they plug into the same spot?
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

It's also worth looking very close at the AD
    Like the newegg units.
    Recertified: HP Officejet Pro L7680 C8189A
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16828115089
    Sells for the same as your link
    and is the same unit.. Or is it
    The first release of these had some real problems

The tanks are HP 88
    In two sizes
    The High Yield Black last 3 times as long

Also note the product code .. I think the ones with an ending code of ABA are the latest production..

I was interested not so much for myself as for certain clients. I, personally, now only use laserjets - and even a number of colour ones have become very affordable. I see that a "tank" is a synonym for a large cartridge. I'm also not that fond of "all-in-ones" unless desk space is a premium. I, myself, would not be importing from the US and would need to check "local" suppliers but it is always of value to hear of recommendations from a reputable source.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Using Tank instead of Cartridge is a little deceiving

But the near lack of electronics in them along with the re fillers calling them tanks has gotten me into the habit of using tanks when talking about them

I prefer laser also. BUT getting one for the home with the required 8.5X14 scanner bed

Land of 10,000 Lakes and Minnesota nice!!
    I have struggled with my HP d135 at times but have overcome the expired print cart issue by removing the button battery on the motherboard. I'm not sure exactly what it did, but I've been able to refill the cartridge without incident for over 2 years now...

And yes, you do need to print something with these inkjets at least every other day to keep the heads from drying up...I'm wondering if the same will be true of your new HP since it is still an inkjet?? It would seem so...

For the "tanks," are these simply reservoirs...and as you say, without the electronics of the carts??

The ability to network your new find sounds wonderful!!
    Lighten up! --- A merry heart does good like a medicine. (Proverbs 17:22)

Have you tried the new one under CUPS and SANE yet?
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Whyzman

The fact it doesn't get used everyday will be cured with the network
    BUT.. The print heads on my 1100 only get used once a week.
    Same system.. 4 print heads and 4 tanks

Why does one printer keep going bad the other never does?
    Only time will tell..
    My wife and grand kids will give the new printer a work out each day.
    Plus Everything works across the network.. Something I couldn't say for the D145

MJC
    No I haven't tested it under CUPS or SANE YET
    As Luck would have it mother nature went crazy a little after I started installing it last night

How Crazy ?
    Rain and Rain and More Rain

And a little more RAIN

Why does one printer keep going bad the other never does?
    I don't know either Rick... Logic seems to lend itself to the fact that any residual ink left in the print heads will dry and clog them up. As I mentioned in another thread along the same lines, I print with my d135 as a routine "maintenance" procedure at least every other day...knowing that if I don't I'll be soaking a print head in the near future.

When I got back in March from working on the orphanage in Mexico for two weeks...bingo...I had to soak two of the print heads to get them to flow. Although I've a wireless setup my d135 is not in the network...nobody uses it but me.

My point exactly

The 1100 gets used once a week to print a few pages If not just a few checks
    But I also started doing the same as you after the same thread your speaking of
    Running at least a few pages through the D145

BUT I am only home once a week for sure.
    So doing it every other day is impossible

The only Difference I see in the business jet 1100 and the officejet D145 is the tanks HP 11 and the 3 compartment cartridge of the D145

They both use print heads and they both get used at the same interval

Unless the tanks keep a flow of ink going during the down times, me thinks that might not be part of the equation.

I'm wondering if it might have something to do with the printhead docking station??

These sorts of things might be something the PrntRhd may be able to shed some light on since he this is his domain...

Someone called my name?

I do mostly Ethernet-connected laser and LED printers at work, not inkjets, but the HP L7680 write up does state the ink cartridges/tanks are mounted in the frame and not on the moving print head scan assembly, allowing greater speed for the scan assembly, and on inkjets it is really important to minimize the mass of the moving scan assembly for quality and reliability.

The duplex printing feature is also nice (best if you use inkjet paper), and this one automatically waits a little before printing the duplex side to allow the ink to dry before feeding it back through the printer. Glycol-based inks require a little time before they dry, an inkjet issue that is not found on laser printers.

The Digital Filing feature for Scanning is the coolest thing, it allows you to set up a shared network folder on a PC or on a drive anywhere on the LAN and drops the scanned file into that folder without requiring an email server or client software on a PC. Any paper document can be digitized/saved/sent.
    Last edited by PrntRhd; 06-08-2008 at 09:34 PM.

Thread Information