Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Put My Hard Drive in Another Computer?

Put My Hard Drive in Another Computer?

I want to merge two computers. More specifically I want to put my hard drive in my girlfriends computer. We recently moved in together, have one monitor and 2 PCs. Her PC is far superior w/ better CPU, graphics card, etc. I just want to keep all of my files, so really I just want to move my hard drive into her computer. I have no idea how to do this and I dont know what complications may arise. Can I do this without having to move all of my files over and formatting my hard drive? Both hard drives are NTFS and we both have vista.

Welcome to forums.....

Get yourself a USB enclosure and then copy the data files from one PC to the other PC.
    No two moments are alike and a person who thinks that any two moments are alike has never lived.

A.J. Heschel

An alternative would be...

If your GF's computer has an extra data cable and power cord hangin out, you could slave your hard drive to her computer..

essentially having both harddrives on 1 computer..

(it would show up as the next letter in line.. for ex: possibly the D:/ or E:/ drive)

..at least thats how it used to work..

with these new fangled.. Vista.. things, ehhh it could be different and I dont know about it yet XD

Yes exactly, I want to slave my hard drive to hers and make it the next drive letter, how do i do it?

...And how much is a USB enclosure anyway?

A USB eclosure is usually less than $30.00
    No two moments are alike and a person who thinks that any two moments are alike has never lived.

A.J. Heschel

Enclosures have their uses but take up desk space. Every one to their own.

Just be sure that whether you move it to an enclosure or inside your GF's PC that the recipient "box" has the appropriate slots for you particular HDD. No good trying to put IDE in if its all SATA and vice versa. Whether its FAT or NTFS is of no consequence if the hosting OS is Vista/XP/2K.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

i looked up enclosures and thats not exactly what i had in mind. i also saw usb transfer cables so i could just transfer my stuff from one computer to the other, also easy. However, if i could go the free route, thats what i want to do. I put both of our computers together myself with parts from newegg, im pretty sure i remember there being a spare connection on the wire for her hard disk. this is the whole "slave" idea correct? how do i go about doing this? could it really be as easy as just taking the hard drive out of my PC and putting it in hers on the extra connection of that wire? will there be a problem with already having windows on that hard drive? Also, i believe both hard drives are SATA.

Land of 10,000 Lakes and Minnesota nice!!
    Extricating your data from a shared computer could get complicated if things don't work out...just a thought...
    Lighten up! --- A merry heart does good like a medicine. (Proverbs 17:22)

If it's SATA then you would just need an available socket on the main board. With SATA each device has its own cable and is never slaved to another hard drive. All SATAs have equal "status" for data transfer though only the original drive should be kept as the boot device in its own original machine. Don't try to boot to the second drive you add to a system. Some SATAs may need to be jumpered down to 1.5Gig speeds if that's all the main board supports.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

put the drive in today, worked out fine, thanks everybody

Thread Information