Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: 9800 GTX fitment problem

9800 GTX fitment problem

Hi everyone im new to the boards and registered because I have got a problem that hopefully someone can help me with.

I have the following computer http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/GX.../5429sp3.shtml

Well I just bought a bfg 9800 gtx oc graphics card as well as a 650 watt psu. the psu fits up fine but the fan shroud on the video card hits the 20 or 24 pin motherboard power plug in when I try to push it down. I need another 1/4 inch and it would go all the way down.

Besides that the card will not fit up to the case so I ordered an antec 900 gaming case to fix that problem. But I have no answer to the plug in and fan shroud issue.

Is there a low profile plug of some kind I can get or do I need a new motherboard?

btw I am using the pcie x 16 slot and I only have one of them.

thanks a lot for any advice... im out of ideas.

Im not that computer savy...just know the basics...so try and keep it simple LOL

and one more thing...do you guys think this setup will be decent enough with my current processor and ddr2 ram 800 mhz bus etc? what will be my limits?

if the link doesnt work its a model gx7022e

Well, you've just found one of the joys of trying to upgrade an 'off the shelf' machine.

You are in a bit of a Catch-22 here, because if you do get a new motherboard you might as well go the rest of the way and get a new processor, RAM and the rest...including a new copy of Windows. The copy you currently have (the one that came on that machine) is only legal to run on that machine...specifically motherboard.

Basically, the only way, that I know of, to get it to work with that card/motherboard combo is build your own connector. Not something I would really like to do, let alone wish on anyone else. I haven't seen a right-angle adapter, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Of course, a smaller video card should solve the problem, too...

Also, a Pentium D is rather long in tooth and not really worth bumping the video card up to a monster card.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

would going with an ati radeon 4850 card that is single slot width fix the problem?

its performance is on par with a 9800

Probably...but not 100% sure. Most of the ones I've seen are a bit smaller than the 98s, but I'm not sure if it is enough smaller.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Well it just goes to show they have an adapter for just about anything.

I would say give it a try if a 1/4" is all you need.
    8 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    24GB GSkill/Corsair 1866MHz
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    SSD - OCZ V4 128GB/Kingston 120GB
    HDD - 3TB/2x 750GB/500GB/250GB
    Corsair TX850M
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Red
    CM Hyper 212 EVO w/2x SickleFlow 120mm Red
    12x BD-ROM
    Logitech X540 5.1 Surround
    2X Acer 23" LED - Eyefinity: 3840x1080
    Microsoft Sidewinder x4 KB

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein

Thread Information