Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Cannot find search facility on Windows XP

Cannot find search facility on Windows XP

I cannot find the search facility on Windows XP eg. it can be accessed from the start button. You can search for a file or a word in a file.

I recently had my laptop serviced.

Right click on your Taskbar (bottom of screen) select properties> Select Start Menu Tab> Select Customize> Select Advanced Tab> Under Start Menu Items scroll down to and select Search> hit OK then Apply then OK again.
    "...wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream..." Roger Waters

I have done everything sassie05 has said but there is no

search> feature

select Search> (not found)

Does search show when you right click on Start?
    "...wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream..." Roger Waters

i have managed to solve this problem

Please, share your solution to the problem.

If anyone else has the same problem:
    I always just go to My Documents (or My Computer or Desktop) and the Search button is right there at the top (see pic).

I might as well put a confused smilie in here - it'll save time!

The Search Button described at the top of the window is a button on the View >> Toolbars >> Standard Buttons of Windows Explorer. Any manifestation of the same (My Computer, My Documents, etc) should have the same option. You can also Right Click on icons and folders (and the StartButton) and choose Search to get to a similar display but for the specific item right-clicked.

The Start Menu Search Icon should be customisable as indicated at the start of this thread but obviously the change isn't sticking in the registry. Maybe try and see if it is there and/or works in Safe Mode for the same user.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

lost search too

I too have lost search ( the one from the start button), when I press it to find anything it comes up with an error code saying
    " a file that is required to run search companion cannot be found, you may have to run setup"
    I tried to find setup, and could'nt find that either? Its not in the control panel

Scotty007
    Did you try right clicking the Start button to get to Windows Explorer as Paul had posted for this old thread?

Thread Information