Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Opening CD-Rom drive without power...

Post Opening CD-Rom drive without power...

I realized that I have a CD in my CD-ROM drive I need to get out, however my mother board is being repaired / replaced (hopefully) at ABit. Does anyone know how do to open a CD-ROM drive not hooked up to a mother board without breaking it? My power supply and cables are still there, but hooking them up and turning the power on doesn't do anything without the mother board. Hooking the CD-ROM drive to another computer is not an option. Thanks in advanced. :-)

- Toxin

There should be a small hole just under the CD tray. A straightened paper clip can be used to activate the mechanical release by pushing it into the hole.

------------------
    reido@my-deja.com

[This message has been edited by Reid (edited 12-23-2000).]

if there isn't a little hole (there isn't one on mine) and you really need the CD you can force it open by sticking a knifey type object in between the door and the wall and prying it open, I don't suggest doing this unless you really need the CD (I've done it a few times and no adverse affects to my drive have occured)

------------------
    [This message has been edited by will729 (edited 4-3-1900 in a small wood cabin in texas).]
    [This message has been edited by will729 (edited 4-3-1900 in a small wood cabin in texas).]

Blog Entries

Very bad advice, NEVER force a CD ROM open unless it's already a junker. Most have a hole for manual opening purposes. As Reid said, they can be opened with a paper clip. Use a large one, they work better.

------------------
    My hairdresser charges me a finder's fee!!

Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Yeah and I've used a butcher knife to remove a splinter (I've still got all ten)before you just may have to look very carefully on the front of the drive to find the hole the rest is easy unless you've got kids then the paper clip is a questionable object to find.

In case you followed will729's advice try here:www.pricewatch.com/

------------------
    mjc
    MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

[This message has been edited by mjc (edited 12-26-2000).]
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Thread Information