Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Problem installing software in Windows Vista Home Premium

Talking Problem installing software in Windows Vista Home Premium

I'm getting very frusterated trying to install software in Windows Vista Home Premium edition. I keep getting error messages about the software failing to start after it has been installed. I've tried to install QuickBooks 2009, Macromedia Flashplayer 10, and AVG Free edtion only to have all of them give me some sort of error message and not run. I've tired uninstalling and reinstalling using the "Run As Administrator" but that doesn't work either. I spent allot of time on the phone with QuickBooks tech support but they haven't benn able to figure out what the matter is either.

All of the software runs fine on another Windows Vista Home Premium PC that I have.

This is a new Dell Studio laptop that I'm trying to install on. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Don't know if this applies here or not, but it's worth thinking about.

1. I hit a situation once...
    Where I installed something [can't remember what]...
    And that something installed its own customized version of a Windows system file...
    It needed that customized version to work.
    Then I "repaired" Windows...
    And during that repair, the customized file was overwritten by the original Windows version...
    So the "something" no longer worked.

Is it possible that prog1 has overwritten a Windows system file...
    And that prog's 2, 3, and 4 need the original version to work?
    Meanwhile prog1 works just fine?

2. By-the-way...
    Because certain/some actions are not totally reversible...
    Rather than uninstalling programs...
    Much better to make a backup immediately before the install...
    And if you want rid of the install...
    Restore the backup.
    That way you get back to EXACTLY the way things were previously.
    And can have another go at it knowing you always begin at PRECISELY the same software state.

3. If you don't have a backup, do you have a saved "Restore Point"?

Talking Still having problems

Thanks for your suggestions. I tried using system restore to set Windows Vista back to it's earliest time, but that still doesn't work. It appears to be third party software that causes the problem and doesn't run correctly. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do? I tried installing Quicken 2009 tonight, and that doesn't work either.

Should I contact Dell technical support, Microsoft, or Intuit?

Thanks

How long have you had the PC? and is it still under Warranty?

Since the same software installs normally on another PC this one must be suspect in some way or another. I would restore back to factory condition (I think that should be an option if you choose repair after booting to the Vista DVD) or else just use the DVD to clean reinstall Vista without using any of Dell's propietary bundled software. If that doesn't solve the problem then a return under warranty or a chat with Dell would seem to be in order.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Komski View Post
    or else just use the DVD to clean reinstall Vista without using any of Dell's propietary bundled software.
    That would be my suggestion. Reinstall and only install Dell hardware drivers and none of the other crap. You will be surprised at how well your system will run without all the crap on there.

Hopefully you choose to get the windows disk when you ordered your system.
    8.1 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    24GB GSkill/Corsair 1866MHz
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    SSD - OCZ V4 128GB/Kingston 120GB
    HDD - 3TB/2x 750GB/500GB/250GB
    Corsair TX850M
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Red
    CM Hyper 212 EVO w/2x SickleFlow 120mm Red
    12x BD-ROM
    Logitech X540 5.1 Surround
    2X Acer 23" LED - Eyefinity: 3840x1080
    Microsoft Sidewinder x4 KB

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein

Thread Information