Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Windows 7 - can't copy/create files to C:\ root directory.

Windows 7 - can't copy/create files to C:\ root directory.

Hi.
    Surprisingly, I recently installed Windows 7 Professional edition.
    (Surprisingly - mainly because I usually upgrade several years after the OS is released).
    I've noticed that when I use the Command Prompt, I can't seem to create or copy files to my C:\ drive which contains my Windows 7 OS install.
    Here's my setting and I will explain the behavior further afterward.

Partition 0: (C:\ drive when in DOS 98)
    - Primary DOS partition. System Partition as referred by Windows.
    - Active.
    - FAT16 (because it's only set for 200MB space)
    - Contains boot manager of Windows 7
    - "DOS 98" bootable
    Partition 1: (C:\ drive when in Windows 7)
    - Windows 7 installed
    - NTFS (about 24GB)
    Partition 2: (D:\ drive in both DOS 98 and Windows 7)
    - Extended partition and extended drive
    - FAT32 (close to 100GB)

See the following command and result in Windows 7 command prompt:

D:\>touch test.txt

D:\>copy test.txt test2.txt
    1 file(s) copied.

C:\>touch test.txt
    touch: test.txt: Permission denied

C:\>copy d:test.txt .
    A required privilege is not held by the client.
    0 file(s) copied.

Problem:
    I'm logged in with an ID that has Administrator privilege.
    But as you can see from above, I am not sure if it has something to do with my C:\ drive (in Windows 7) is a NTFS file system or it is a partition which contains the OS itself, but it will not let me create or copy files from command line in C:\ drive in its root directory.
    And I thought I was at least able to copy via using the GUI (open two folders and do copy/paste by selecting and dragging with Ctrl pressed) though it did pop up a message saying I need some special permission to do so, but it let me.. but now it's not even letting me do that from GUI. I was messing with some permission stuff but I basically enabled all permission for all users, so I'm not sure why it would do this now.
    I also can't save files like a plain text file from notepad to C:\ drive either.

Another thing that I just noted... I can create a sub-directory under the C:\ and I have full read/write access in that sub-directory. I also tried to copy/save/create files in directories created by Windows like "Windows", "Program Files", and "Users" and seems like they are all protected.

This seems like some security feature in Windows 7.. or is it an NTFS thing?
    Anyway... any idea what I might have to change/set so that I have full control over the file system?

I read something about giving myself an "OS" privilege and I think that may solve this problem, but not sure where I set that.

Perhaps this may be a good thing that it's set.. but still.. I want full control and full access to my machine...

Thank you.

I think I found my own answer!
    I just read something about running command prompt as administrator!
    If I right click on the "Command Prompt" icon from Accessories, there's "Run as administrator" vs. just plain "Open". Running as administrator let me create and copy files in C:\ drive's root directory and in Windows created directories.

Now.. only if I can set clicking on the Command Prompt icon to execute the "Run as administrator" as default instead of "Open" and have it start in the folder that I specified, that would be great...

real easy helping you when you found your own answer.......way to go
    Win8.1/HAF X/CM 1000W/Z77X-UD5H/OC'ed 3770k @4.2GHz/32g G Skill/OC'ed GTX780 @1063MHz-6608MHz/Vertex3 120g/WD 500 Blk/WD 1T Blk
    Win7/CM Centurion/650W/Z77X-UD3H/OC'ed 2500k @ 4.1GHz/16g Kingston/HD6870/Vertex2 90g/WD 500 Black
    Win7/modded mid-case/725W/TA785G3+/Athone 2 x 4 640 OC'ed @3.442 GHz/8g Kingston/HD6870/WD 500 Blk/WD 1T Blk

doesn't keep me up nights, no siree

You can (not recommended) turn off UAC. Just type UAC into the Start/Search box, make the change and reboot.

You can also make a customised shortcut. Right click on Desktop (or wherever else you prefer where you have normal access) and choose New Shortcut. Give it the following path C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe and then a name of your choice.

Right Click on this new shortcut and from the Shortcut Tab's Advanced button choose "Run as Administrator". Click OK and Click Apply.

If you want a command prompt that will open at a specific location then alter the shortcut's path to have both a K switch and a cd switch. For example:-

Code:
    C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /K "cd C:\"
    There is a useful feature (for those that use a Command Prompt regularly) in Win7 where if you hold down Shift while you RClick a folder in Explorer's Right Hand Pane that you can choose to Open Command Prompt Here and which was only available previously with Power Toys.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

real easy helping you when you found your own answer.......way to go
    Posts like this are not really very helpful particularly when there is a rider such as
    Now.. only if I can set clicking on the Command Prompt icon to execute the "Run as administrator" as default instead of "Open" and have it start in the folder that I specified, that would be great...
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Komski View Post
    There is a useful feature (for those that use a Command Prompt regularly) in Win7 where if you hold down Shift while you RClick a folder in Explorer's Right Hand Pane that you can choose to Open Command Prompt Here and which was only available previously with Power Toys.
    Nice tip Paul. I tried it in vista and it works. Very handy.
    8.1 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    24GB GSkill/Corsair 1866MHz
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    SSD - OCZ V4 128GB/Kingston 120GB
    HDD - 3TB/2x 750GB/500GB/250GB
    Corsair TX850M
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Red
    CM Hyper 212 EVO w/2x SickleFlow 120mm Red
    12x BD-ROM
    Logitech X540 5.1 Surround
    2X Acer 23" LED - Eyefinity: 3840x1080
    Microsoft Sidewinder x4 KB

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein

It is indeed very handy and on looking at the menu options again I see that in addition to the "Open Command Window Here" option there is another old Power Toy tool to "Copy as Path" (to clipboard) and which also can be a very useful thing to be able to do. Useful to know it is a Vista option too.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Komski View Post
    another old Power Toy tool to "Copy as Path" (to clipboard) and which also can be a very useful thing to be able to do. Useful to know it is a Vista option too.
    Yes it is there as well. I am not sure if it is standard or if it is a result of installing "PowerShell", which apparently can be installed on XP SP2 as well. I just looked at my wifes laptop that is running vista SP2 (clean install last week after upgrading hard drive) and she has it as well. I don't think I installed PowerShell on here system when running windows updates, so it should be standard.
    8.1 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    24GB GSkill/Corsair 1866MHz
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    SSD - OCZ V4 128GB/Kingston 120GB
    HDD - 3TB/2x 750GB/500GB/250GB
    Corsair TX850M
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Red
    CM Hyper 212 EVO w/2x SickleFlow 120mm Red
    12x BD-ROM
    Logitech X540 5.1 Surround
    2X Acer 23" LED - Eyefinity: 3840x1080
    Microsoft Sidewinder x4 KB

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein

Thank you all for your suggestions and solutions...
    After running the command prompt ""Run as administrator" a few times (maybe something happened between), it started opening in "Run as administrator" mode when I just double click and open.

Thread Information