Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Becoming a Computer Tech II

Becoming a Computer Tech II

Guys (and Gals), as I'm taking Networking courses (CIT 250 Internetworking of Computers and CIT 120 Networking) this semester, I'm happy to tell you that on last Fri's weekly quiz of 20 questions, I got a score of 19 correct questions out of 20. However, it was an open-book exam.
    "AlienBZ to Quasar Command...Have completed all tasks here on this planet. Ready to beam up, please."

Blog Entries
    That is still a good score. Open-book exams often include incredibly complex or obscure questions, so it usually comes down to beating the clock or stumbling across the correct page.

So what are these classes about? What material is in them?

Open-book exams, sometimes used in courses more associated with math (1), have been touted as an evaluation method that promotes more active learning. Reported empirical benefits include the creative use of knowledge gained, "deep" probing of the study material, student self-evaluation of course material mastery, and an enhanced awareness of the learning process

Open book shows that even if you don't retain all the knowledge learned in class (who does?) you have the ability to find the answers and apply them.
    8.1 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    24GB GSkill/Corsair 1866MHz
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    SSD - OCZ V4 128GB/Kingston 120GB
    HDD - 3TB/2x 750GB/500GB/250GB
    Corsair TX850M
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Red
    CM Hyper 212 EVO w/2x SickleFlow 120mm Red
    12x BD-ROM
    Logitech X540 5.1 Surround
    2X Acer 23" LED - Eyefinity: 3840x1080
    Microsoft Sidewinder x4 KB

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by jlreich View Post
    Open book shows that even if you don't retain all the knowledge learned in class (who does?) you have the ability to find the answers and apply them.
    Good Point, JL - that's what I was thinking (and wondering if I were correct about that)?

Anyway, my latest weekly quiz scores for CIT 120 (this past Fri) was a 16 correct answers out of 20 questions.

JL, when you studied to be a tech, did you retain all that you read from the book?
    "AlienBZ to Quasar Command...Have completed all tasks here on this planet. Ready to beam up, please."

Quote Originally Posted by AlienBZ View Post
    JL, when you studied to be a tech, did you retain all that you read from the book?
    Haha! No way. You don't start really retaining until you actually do it on a regular basis. And then if you don't use it for a long time you will struggle to remember when an issue does come up. At least that is how I am.

You think I remember the OSI model by heart, or the specs on fiber cables, or all the standard ports for different protocols? Or how to build a frame relay network on a Cisco router? Nope. But that's just me, someone that works in that stuff every day knows it like the back of their hand.

I don't use the detailed networking stuff very often these days. Yeah the standard stuff is easy, but not the complicated stuff. Sure I retain the understanding on how things work, but the details would have to be looked up if I need them. Which is easy to do. At least I understand what I'm looking for and will know it when I see it.
    8.1 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    24GB GSkill/Corsair 1866MHz
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    SSD - OCZ V4 128GB/Kingston 120GB
    HDD - 3TB/2x 750GB/500GB/250GB
    Corsair TX850M
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Red
    CM Hyper 212 EVO w/2x SickleFlow 120mm Red
    12x BD-ROM
    Logitech X540 5.1 Surround
    2X Acer 23" LED - Eyefinity: 3840x1080
    Microsoft Sidewinder x4 KB

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein

Let me see if I know the OSI model by heart - "Programmers Do Not Throw Salty Pretzels Away" - The layers: Physical, Data link, Network, Transport Security, Protocol, Application" - Oops! **haha, laughing at myself**, I had to look up these other "Salty Pretzels" layers from my one of school books, and this turned out to be - "Salty Pretzels - Session, Presentation"

(Know why programmers don't throw salty pretzels away? b/c they eat them - especially if they're covered with chocolate, which is one of my favorite snacks, and I can't resist them.)

Blog Entries
    Ice Cream Sandwiches. Best. Ever!

Folks, I took my latest quiz - first quiz for this one class (for CIT 250) this past Fri, got a score of 15/15 - 100 %. All these other weekly quizzes I took were for the second class - CIT 120.

Blog Entries
    Sweet!

Is it starting to click yet?

Is what starting to click, may I ask?

Folks, there's talk going on at Gameboomers about Windows 8 in their tech forum to which I replied to:

Aw, now Gee, I'm in my second semester of IT Support school at the community college, am learning about XP and a bit of Vista and Win 7, and by the time I finish school and go out to help people with their PC's they'll be using Windows 8 and the OS's that I'm currently studying will be obsolete (unless I become tech missionary for the Christian missionary field and travel different places incl. other countries where I'll be more likely to work on older computers and OS's)?? Gosh, Microsoft, slow down, please!

My school books don't even mention Windows 8, nor do they have a class for W8 in the school catalogue (AFAIK).

What am I to do, folks?Windows 8 Discussion at GameBoomers.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AlienBZ
    Is what starting to click, may I ask?
    The computer stuff. Is it starting to click in your brain?

Quote Originally Posted by AlienBZ
    My school books don't even mention Windows 8, nor do they have a class for W8 in the school catalogue (AFAIK).

What am I to do, folks?
    Ha! Companies and other organizations do not keep up with the latest tech! Most places are still running 5-10 year old servers with anything from NT 3.x to Server 2003 R2. Some have embraced 64-bit OSes, some not. WinXP is still the main player for business systems, and you are most likely to run across P4s and P4-based Xeons in desktops and servers, respectively. Mid-size and smaller businesses, if they are lucky, are moving their infrastructures over to virtualization. Very large companies have already done so. I even know a few companies that have invalidated WinXP SP3 as an upgrade path! All of their critical desktops are still running SP2, for crying out loud!

I would not worry about it. Even if Win8 were an upgrade from Win7 (which is definitely not the case due to Metro!) companies are loathe to spend massive dollars on OS upgrades in addition to the time and research spent on validation! And that is IF they can even validate! Why spend the money if you can avoid it? Or, if the expenditure is necessary, why spend the money before you absolutely must? Skipping Vista worked out nicely for most companies.

Honestly, Server 8 is an upgrade, not Win8. But even if it were, it would take at least a year after its release to cycle into most companies. The IT staff has to spend some time with it before it is released to the users. Just how it works.

^ I work for government and we just started to roll out Windows 7 to 500 of the 32,000 desktops we have. The majority of workstations are running XP Pro, with a few Vista machines (< 50).

On the server side, we are just starting to migrate to Server 2008 R2 virtual machines from Server 2003. There are over 1,500 servers... upgrading is not a walk in the park!

Upgrades like that take years of planning before they even begin. So there's plenty of time to learn
    Don't fear the penguin - www.slackware.com

This is the second time (on Quiz 8 for CIT 120) that I got a score of 19 correct out of 20 quiz questions.

Congrats. @ 95%, that's an 'A'

Blog Entries
    That is almost 100%! Good job!

Just found that today when I checked my mid-term grades online from my school, I found that I got a B for CIT 120 and an A for CIT 250. Wow! I'm so happy! Last semester I made a B and a P (passed) for my mid-terms.

Guys, just today I had the opportunity to help someone on another forum with a green screen issue

Green Screen Issue

and if you'll please take note of what I said in the final post on that forum about UDP, I'd appreciate any comments on my remarks regarding my education thus far (we're on chapter 11 in one of my classes, learning about VoIP and video over IP) and please let me say if I had this green screen issue before before finishing chapter 11 from the schoolbook today I'd be all railed up about "evil spirits that are working on my computer", or a "spooky event, caused by sprites/ghosts" and I'd go on about the new age crowd out there that believe in such things, but today, I'm beginning to know better (thanks to my education).

Oh, and may I please inform you guys that on that forum that I linked to, my user name is "cruise02" on that forum.

Also I learned, I think, that Adobe Flash works by streaming video/audio, etc, over RTMP such as from YouTube videos that are hosted on a server somewhere, this is called Real Time Media Protocol, think I just learned this today from that schoolbook's chapter 11, have to go look it up, but I know by heart that streaming video/audio means that the media transmission does not have to be d/l onto the person-who-wants-to-watch-its computer, but it's delivered on demand, so I now believe that Adobe Flash protocol is really RTMP, which is said to be owned by Adobe, correct?
    Last edited by AlienBZ; 04-19-2012 at 12:35 AM.

Funny, the green screen issue reminded me of a recent Flash update that turned people on YouTube clips to blue.
    And yes, in 2005 Adobe purchased Macromedia who owned Flash via Macromedia's 1996 purchase of Future Wave Software who was the developer of "Future Splash Animator", and then renamed "Macromedia Flash".
    Last edited by PrntRhd; 04-19-2012 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PrntRhd View Post
    And yes, in 2005 Adobe purchased Macromedia who owned Flash via Macromedia's 1996 purchase of Future Wave Software who was the developer of "Future Splash Animator", and then renamed "Macromedia Flash".
    I think some computer games (including these in the "adventure" genre) use Macromedia to run their cut scenes, don't they? I'm pretty sure that I have some older adventure games designed for the Windows 95/98 OS that use Macromedia for these cut scenes, but I don't recall how old these games are/when they were released?

This logo?

Yep, this exact logo.

Blog Entries
    Back before 2001, when most games were 2D, there were only a handful of technologies used for cutscenes. Those were the days when 3D rendering was not real-time, so in-game movies and cutscenes were filmed or they were rendered on workstations, then converted into a highly compressible format that was very lossy and grainy!

Geez, anyone remember the cutscenes from the old Jedi Knight games?

^ Omg yes. Funny that you mention that, because my friends and I still play those games when we get together.

Blog Entries
    It is sometimes difficult to play those old games. I remember trying Quake II a few years ago at 1280x1024. Hilarious! That game was not meant for anything beyond 1024x768 - it was sharp and yet... old looking.

What do you use for those old games?

Thread Information