Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: printer priority

Post printer priority

where do I set the printer priority, need to reduce priority to printer.

------------------
    for every question there's an answer. Then a load more questions.
    Definition of Upgrade "A means of introducing new bugs to a program to replace the ones that you have eventually found fixes for"

Regards..,
    Vic.

Definition of Upgrade "A means of introducing new bugs to a program to replace the ones that you have eventually found fixes for"

Regards..,
    Vic.

Hi Vic,
    You can change the settings in windows print manager.
    Cant find it on my system OS ME. It might win 2000 App.
    You could try Here
    kfh.
    -------
    Sequitur Patrem Non Passibus Aequis

right click the printer, choose preferences and the indexcard "extended" (at least that is the equivalence in a germanOS). There should be a field, where to adjust printer priority.

No, nothing there. I seem to remember once having the option to set more priority to o/s than printer: more priority to printer than o/s: or.., equal priority.

but it's so long since I did it I can't remember where.

------------------

Regards..,
    Vic.

Regards..,
    Vic.

what OS are you working with?

Hi Vic. Is your memory going as far back as Windows 3.1 and its "multitasking" environment; i.e. the Background/Foreground Priority Settings under Windows prior to the "truer" multitasking of Windows 95.

That's the bell that's ringing in my head; but maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick. What specifically are you trying to achieve by changing these priorities? Maybe there's another way of skinning this cat of yours.

------------------
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Exclamation

As stated above it would help greatly to know what OS you are using.

if it's an NT based one ( NT/2000/XP ) then right click on your printer /select properties/ then the advanced tab-there you will be able to set priority ( 99 is the highest priority, but if you have only one printer this is redundant ) , better to change your spooling options to " print directly to printer ", this will eliminate any waiting period for a document, however i don't recommend it unless you're the only one doing the printing.

------------------
    iisbob

CPU= 5mhz
    Memory= 16 K
    Storage=10.2MB's
    Video=Onboard S3 4K
    Modem=14.4 baud
    Sound=ISA Yamaha 8bit
    Mouse=2 button MS
    Monitor=ACER 12.5"
    OS= WIN 3.1

My ultimate gaming system
    iisbob

Read in a message board of a local BBS: "I try to avoid using Microsoft. That's why I use MS-DOS."

o/s = w98

the problem is on my work machine, I have to print stuff off on a daily basis from the main dial up server, originally the docs used to go into the print queue, this allowed me to send all docs to printer & go off to do other things whilst I waited for them to print.

Now I have to wait for each doc to go to the printer & print off before I send another to the printer, which wastes me hours of time.

Paul I think you're right, I am thinking of w 3.1

Thing is that this happened when I was connected direct to the server (originally I had to go via another pc. which was set up especially for the purpose) the old system used to spool the docs to the print queue, but now neither of them do.

------------------

Regards..,
    Vic.

Regards..,
    Vic.

what if you tried to adjust this matter on the server - that means that youd make it spool. Im sure the printer youre using is installed on the server and you are using this PCs ability to cache printer docs.
    Still im not sure, what the problem is. If youve tried to figure out the problem on your server, let know more exactly what exactly changed your situation- why do you have to spend much more hours than before for your printing.
    wussowe

Vic
    Just seen this on a win 98 machine & hp printer.
    I right clicked printer icon propeties/scheduling,
    and found the adjustments for priority seettings.
    kfh.
    -------
    Sequitur Patrem Non Passibus Aequis

wussowe

I'll try to explain a little better:

previously I used my work PC to access another PC (at my h/o) by dial up which was connected to the server. one of the tasks was to access & print around ten four page docs, this took 6 minutes on the pc after which the docs joined the 'print queue' then it took around 35 minutes to print off, (this gave me 35 minutes to go to the canteen for lunch) upon my return I would start on another set of docs, which would take around 15 minutes at the pc then around 90 minutes before coming off the printer. (which gave me time to leave my office to do other things)

trouble was that the system recently became unstable, crashing several times per session, each time I had to ring h/o & find someone who could re-boot the pc there.

due to this the system has been changed whereby I dial up to the server direct, problem is that I now have to access each doc & wait whilst it spools & prints (about 4 mins) before I can access the next doc. this ties me to the pc for about 45 mins (1st stage) plus 90 minutes (second stage)

But it is not just on the new 'system' I still have the 'old' installed & that that's now the same ie: each doc enters the print queue & prints off before I can access the next.

kfh

this setup is w98 with hp laser jet 1100 printer, I'll have another go tomorrow based on what you say.

------------------

Regards..,
    Vic.

Regards..,
    Vic.

No 'scheduling' tab under properties ! Have got someone looking at the server end, but still think it's at my end.

------------------

Regards..,
    Vic.

Regards..,
    Vic.

Unhappy

sorry vic, but im afraid you cant count on my knowledge anymore - have no idea, how this problem could be solved.
    Rely on the supreme wisdom of this forums oldies (but goldies
    sorry, wussowe

Thanks wusscowe,

I'm still working on it. Our IT 'expert' tells me it's because it's restricted by the ability of the phone line, What he can't explain is why the problem has occurred now, spooling from the server to my machine, when before it was spooling to another pc , then to my machine ! all by dial up !

Currently I have reduced the doc's I need daily to 22 mins, the others which I require on a weekly basis I have delivered by courier, so at least I'm not tied to the machine so much. but I still seek an answer.

------------------

Regards..,
    Vic.

Regards..,
    Vic.

About the only thing I can think of is a look at your sig....and think...hmmm, anything updated at the office recently?

------------------
    mjc
    Links list:Computer Links

Celts are the men that heaven made mad, For all their battles are merry and their songs are all sad.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon. - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

nothing changed on the system. only the way that I access it.

County H/O is 25 miles away & District Office 10 miles further. I have a sole office in a 7 story building ie: totally independant of the rest of the building.

The server is at District Office where the partic prog is accessed directly through the network, I have a pc there which accesses the prog I want, then through my other pc (at remote location) I access via dial up. This system became very unstable, & when it crashed I had to ring up & get someone to re-boot it. so now....,

I access the County server (via dial up direct) & access the District server via the network link.

Just had a thought ! I need to try the access from County Hall.! which theoretically ! should be the same as accessing through District Office. but who knows !

------------------

Regards..,
    Vic.

Regards..,
    Vic.

Thread Information