Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Stack Overflow error message

Post Stack Overflow error message

Twice I've had a black screen with the error message:-
    "Stack overflow - increase settings in Config.sys file."
    I remember reading about altering this setting in increments of 4, but am uncertain about where to enter this. I have gone to the Config.sys tab in the System Configuration Utility box, but there are no existing settings to alter.
    Anyone know the answer?

Blog Entries

IN system.ini, the [386enh] section, change or create a minsps entry. Axcel316 has a bunch of system.ini tweaks.

USE WITH CAUTION

Read the instructions and warnings before making any changes, and make any and all changes ONE AT A TIME so you know exactly what to undo in the case of problems.

That said...the entry you would need in system.ini for this problem would be:

MinSPs=8

under the [386Enh] section. You will probably have to create the entry, and it must be in multiples of 2 (4, 6, 8, 10, 12 etc). Each stack page takes 4KB of memory.

------------------
    If your nose runs and your feet smell...
    You're built upside down!
    Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links has been moved, please update your bookmarks.
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Really, then how come...

I used a utility, TweakAll, once and increased my stack pages. You can use it, instead of editing system.ini, and do bunches of other things that other tweakers won't let you do. I love the overlay I designed to take the place of the stupid arrow which indicates that an icon is for a shortcut. Within a day of increasing stacks, though, I got a stack overflow. My system crashed utterly, and I ended up having to completely reinstall Windows. If increasing stacks can stop a stack overflow, how is it that it can also cause one??

And could someone tell us if there is a difference between stacks and the swap file? If so, what? I keep running out of system resources and want to increase the swap file, but the option for doing it in Device Manager comes with dire warnings. How can one know what changes might be made to the swap? Any indicators? Any utilities to make the whole process more likely to be stable?

If replying, please also send it as personal reply too. Thanks.

Thread Information