Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Floppy

Angry Floppy

I've been up & down this page for solutions. I lost use of my floppy drive about a month ago. I have installed Windows ME and it still doesn't work. I bought a new one and it doesn't work either. Eventhough the cables were never moved, I switched them around to make f@#$ing sure that was not the problem. The light stays on with every configuration but one. The one that it stays off on doesn't work either. I've tried the new drive in another system and it works fine. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

If you tested it in another system and it works, then we know your system is causing the problems. does the drive work in DOS?...if so, then Windows is probably disabling the controller. Try removing the controller from the Device Manager and let Winddows reinstallit. What about a interface card - Is the floppy controller your using onboard? If so, have you added any hardware that has a floppy controller on it?...If so, disable the interface cards floppy controller. check the BIOS and ensure that the onboard floppy controller has not been disabled. Probably lovate that in the "Peripheral Setup". Hope this helps some.

------------------
    Eric's BIOS Post Codes

Will the system boot from the floppy? If not check the BIOS setup for options that specify your boot sequence (A:, C:, CDROM) etc. Set it so that you boot from A: first. Also, there is usually an option that enables or disables a floppy drive seek at start up. Enable it and watch the light on your floppy when you boot up. It should light up and make noise as the heads move. If nothing happens make very sure the cable is connected well and oriented on both ends so that the colored edge of the cable is on pin 1. (look for a tiny 1 to be printed on the floppy drive connector and on the motherboard or controller card where the other end of the cable plugs in. Make sure the card is well seated. Check your power connector. Use a different one. Try all the simple things again and check them carefully. That's all I can think of for now. If it still doesn't work it could be a floppy controller problem. I have had floppy drives behave bizarrely when there were other problems on a controller card.

[This message has been edited by uncle_bent (edited 12-18-2000).]

Wink

It was the f*$#ing cable.

Thread Information